skip to Main Content
What Should You Do When You Go to the Resolution Part?
  • Find your name on the calendar, usually posted in the hallway outside the courtroom.
  • Write down the calendar number of your case.
  • Tell the court clerk that you are the landlord.
  • If you do not have an attorney, let the clerk know that you are not represented by an attorney.
  • Ask the court clerk if you also have to check or circle your name on a list of cases.
  • Be seated in the courtroom or stay near the courtroom so you can hear when your case is called.
  • Silence is required in the courtroom.

You are free to try to settle the case with the other side, but you do not have to speak with the other side without the Judge or the court attorney being present. If your tenant does not have an attorney and both of you want to try to mediate your case, you can ask that the case be sent to a Housing Court Mediator. (Mediation is not available in all boroughs). With the help of a mediator, you and your tenant may be able to reach a settlement, which will be written in a document called a “Stipulation of Settlement.”(See “What About Settlements and Stipulations? ” on page 12).

A Judge will always review the Stipulation of Settlement after mediation. If you want to have the court attorney try to settle your case or you want to speak with the Judge, let the court clerk know; otherwise, you might have to wait unnecessarily for your case to be called.


Back To Top