Historic Home Renovation

What you need to know

Before you start any renovations on your home you should check to see if your building is in a landmark district.

Visit the Buildings Information Search page on the Department of Buildings website and search by the building address. If the landmark Status field is denoted with an “L,” it is a landmark or in a Historic District, if denoted with a “C” (calendared) the site or district is currently under review or consideration. The application process is the same for both “L” and “C” designated properties. The application for work on a “C” site will require a minimum of 40 business days.

Why does it matter?

The main reason landmark renovations matter is because they both affect and reflect the historic character of the street, neighborhood, and even district. When work will impact the look of the property and any element of the exterior, the proposed alterations must be reviewed and approved by the Landmark Preservation Commission (LPC).

Do I need to apply to the LPC?

Owners are required by law to obtain a certificate or permit before work begins on landmarked properties. An application is required if the proposed work will:

  • Change or affect the exterior
  • Change or affect an Interior Landmark
  • Require DOB permitting (with the exception of abatements; mechanical, electrical, or plumbing installations; and temporary structures such as sidewalk sheds)